Tuesday, March 28, 2006

A days birding

I've ordered a digital camera so I should be able to attach pictures soon of the places I go.

Haapy birthday to Diane. Think she was on her way to hit me when I texted ANOTHER camera suggestion. I did quickly text that I had in fact ordered !!

Well will the weather be good? If I am forced to take a days unpaid leave I want some good weather! Opens curtains? Yes!

So do I head for that birding mecca of Peckham to see Yank Robin? LOL no!! So over the forest first.

Well spring is definitely in the air lots of singing but no migrants ! Loads of Tits and Finches. Lots of drumming and I can hear the Green Woodies laughing. There are still Redwings about but I am sure the numbers are down.

As I walk down the path to the lake I see a Marsh Tit, Nuthatches and two Great Spots perch up close and low. So the lake. Its curious how the Mallards congregate at the end where the public can feed them! There are also Greylag with the Canada Geese and some Mute Swan. Cormorants, Gadwall and Teal are about but also Pochard and Tufty. I'm also pleased to see Great pleased to see two Great Crested Grebe looking very handsome.

On the way back I find Treecreeper, Mistle Thrush and Green Woodies and a first for me a Stock Dove over the forest! I'm must have seen one before but not noted. At one point there is aIot of activity and I think its a Sparrowhawk at first but a Kestrel pops out. Still nice start.

Anyway off I go and stop at Walker's snack bar Barton Mills for brunch.

Lackford lakes. I like this reserve despite it being quiet on recent visits.The boating lake looks empty but a quick scan shows .... Sand Martins lots of them. It seems incongruous to see Sand Martins flying over Goldeneye!

The view out from Bill's Hide has ducks(including goldeneye and Pintail), geese, coots and moorhen. Nice to see Lapwings and one Redshank.

Off to the double decker hide for a different view and this time I pick out snipe and Oystercatcher and catch a Kingfisher dart across (the volunteers are pleased to here this). From Besses hide I get both Grebes and a Pochard and amongst the few Sand Martins a white rump of a House! On the way to the far hide I pick up a tit flock, a goldcrest and also hear my first Chiffchaff but can't catch a sight of him. Hope the hide window to see a Weasel! Very few gulls!

Come back via the boating lake as I hear a Swallow was seen yesterday but I can't find it. Catch another weasel and a Muntjac on the way.

Lovely day comprising 58 species and 4 mammals

3 comments:

DH59 said...

Not sure if my first comment was sent. Delete if necessary. Probably used wrong sign-in name. Doh!

Yes I was about to scream when you texted about yet another camera!! Good job you quickly told me you'd ordered the Canon. I don't think you will be disappointed with it. Well at least I hope you won't!!

Good luck with it. And READ THE MABUAL.

The Quacks of Life said...

yes I'll read the thing.

goes against the habits of a life time though......

DH59 said...

Did I really say mabual? Meant manual of course.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.