Thursday, March 02, 2006

The long dark drag of the week

As I left for work at 6:30 this morning I noted that it was "light enough to bird". Yippee!

Well the weekend is starting to draw near. My birdless existence will soon be over but it will only be Sunday before I can bird.

The midweek is hopeless. My drive to work is rural so you'd think I'd have a chance of something good but no, its predominantly Magpies, Corvids, Pigeons and Black Headed Gulls. Not even a Kestrel to lighten my mood today. That said I saw 5 Moorhens on my way home last night and a Mallard.

One bird I did see this morning was a Pied Wagtail. I know its wrong to anthopormorphise a bird but they always seem such happy chappies. Its the way they skitter about with that tail bouncing up and down. The simple black & white colour scheme also works so well.

Down sarf its their time. I always see more of them in Winter and this is no exception. There were 12 of them the other night sitting on top of the covered walkways of the local Tesco.

They are also about the office quite a bit nipping in out of the cars and then flying off with there loud call of chiswick.

They look happy and make me smile. What more can you ask?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anthropomorphise all you like Pete, they are happy birds.

Anonymous said...

They certainly are Pete. I often seen them on car parks, looking for scraps of food and was lucky enough to have one in my garden for a short spell.

I often see grey wagtails in "my" coppice too!

Love them!

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.