Thursday, March 09, 2006

Some Books Read

I haven't menioned much on books lately

So some recent reads

John Harvey - Ash & Bone ****
Harvey is best known for his 10 book Resnick sequence set in Nottingham. This is the second of
Harvey's new series featuring ex Nottingham DI Frank Elder. They are sort of a cross between police procedural and private eye novel. Elder has all the usual domestic problems. Divorced, rebellious kid ...... The book is quite dark, well written and zips along and a fair old rate. Recommended.

R D Wingfield - Hard Frost ***
The fourth Jack Frost novel. Jack is a seeming bumbling incomptent who gets the job done. By turns comic and dark. Totally unbelieveable but will pass an entertaining few days.

Colin Dexter - The Dead of Jericho **** Service of all the Dead **** The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn ***
Morse and Lewis do not greatly resemble their TV counterparts. Morse for instance being much coarser than the John Thaw betrayal. The books, both CWA Silver Dagger winners, are above average convoluted police procedurals. You can sit down and spend an enjoyable few hours. The three books make up the first Inspector Morse Omnibus - good value at £8.99. I just wish though I had read them before I had seen the TV programmes.

1 comment:

Boo said...

Ooo you like the same books as I do, only I haven't read any of them, after seeing the series I decided not to. One is always more disappointing than the other. The Horse Whisperer, in particular, I read the book before I saw the film and was disappointed, the film was nowhere near as good.

Love the cartoon, thank goodness I have given up drinking and working, that has saved me some hours so that I can still smoke! LOL

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.