Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Where are they? Who are they?

There was a program on Radio 4 yesterday asking what had happened to certain people who at one point had been standard fair on Saturday night TV. The likes of Canon & Ball, Janet Brown and Bernie Clifton. The program was referring to the fact that though they are no longer appear on TV they are still packing 'em in at places like Blackpool. Now I was never a big fan in the first place but I got to thinking that there will be younger folk wondering who the hell they are?

Now then when I was young there was one standby of TV variety shows that used to confuse the hell out of me and that was Kenny Lynch. No variety program seemed complete without the host (invariable Jimmy Tarbuck) saying and now, Kenny Lynch. On came Kenny to large applause. He'd swap the odd bon homie with the host and then the host would ask everyone to put there hands together for Kenny and off he'd go. Occaisionally he would maybe dance with our host but other that I was left wondering..... who the hell was he? I mean he'd turn up on TV get applause and wander off. What on earth had he ever done to get this treatment? What else did he do except celebrity golf days with Tarby and Brucie? And, you know what, I never found out!

Well thanks to the mircales of the internet I can tell you that he has an OBE and is a singer, songwriter, dancer, actor and comedian. Apparently he was big in the 50's and 60's.

But for me he's this bloke who walked on and walked off.

1 comment:

Boo said...

I go back a bit further than you Pete and I remember Kenny Lynch singing "Up on the Roof", he was wearing a polo neck sweater and a checked suit as far as I can remember.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.