Friday, April 14, 2006

A sort of twitch

Well where to? well a Hoopoe was reported at Fowlmere yesterday and since I haven't been there for a while........ ok ok I want to see a Hoopoe.

Arrive early probably a dozen people standing around gate but bird not seen. So do I stand around waiting or go for a stroll? Well off I go. Lots of singing birds with Blackcap in evidence.

Stop off at Spring Hide, a few ducks and a Goldcrest. Trails quite active bird wise. Stop in main hide - lots of geese and a dabchick but also a VERY showy Water Rail.

Onwards and upwards - singing Song Thrush and Blackbird fly through Missle Thrush, Great Spot on trail loads of Blackcap and Chiffchaff. See my first female Blackcap. I then hear a Willow Warbler - first for the year. One decides to show itself, actually looked shattered poor little chap. Kingfisher zips up one of the streams. Scan some grassland areas wihich looks likely but only get Green Woody. A pair of Jay fly through.

A few minutes later Dave phones to say the pager has "Hoopoe 8:39 from main hide to edge of reserve" maybe gone back to where it was yesterday? So as I'm almost there....

I give the news but no one has seen it. A few of us decided to walk around again with one of the volunteers. We diligently scour likely grassland. We all sort of split up and back at main hide there are now a pair of Greylag with young ah!

I meet up with the volunteer and learn some stuff about reserve. Also no one seems to know who put out report! Back at car park I am just thinking of going when, whilst a group of us are talking someone says whats that noise? Distantly "Hoo Poe" back to gate and very quickly YES!! Bird in corner of field! It then flies and lands in front of us and walks around as if to say made you wait long enough.

Without the Hoopoe a nice morning BUT well......I'm well chuffed!

naff picture but well............


skylark on way home on fields

3 comments:

DH59 said...

Well done getting the Hoopoe. Nice, but very strange bird.

The Birdman said...

Whoa!!!!

Golcrest, Jay, Green Woody... AND a Hoopoe... not to mention everything else.

REALLY jealous of the Hoopoe. OK, I have seen a couple abroad, but I would LOVE to see one here in the UK.

OK, so maybe just occasionally this northern lad get a hankering for the good life down south. Keeo that under your hat, though. Know wha' I mean.

Anonymous said...

Ya ratbag, I wanna Hoopoe, can't even get one abroad!!

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.