Sunday, April 09, 2006

Sunday April 9th.

So where to today?

Decided to head up to Weeting Heath. Nothing much from the West Hide but down to East Hide and there they were a pair of Stone Curlew! Added bonus was a Woodlark sitting in front of the hide singing! Also a fly through Fieldfare

Off then to Lackford Lakes. Lots of Swallows and Sand Martins over the boating lake and some Swallows and Martins perching on the wires. Wander down to Bill's hide passing Reed Bunting's lots of Tits and finches.

From Bill's there are lots of ducks including this chap who really ought to be on his way home. Also there were Little Ringed Plover, Redshank and Lapwing.











As I was saying a Lapwing. Taken from another hide.

















Onwards one treks and on the way to Bessie's hide I heard a Blackcap but no joy, did find a Siskin though. Also came across a pair of Great Spotted Woodpecker. A chap had reported a Ring Ouzel but no joy, did find Mistle and Song Thrush. Lots of Chiffchaff singing.

From Bessie's hide it was quiet but had a nice Great Crested Grebe and a fly through Green Woodpecker.

On the way to Stegall hide I had a stoat.

Coming back through the Ash Walk I came across lots of Marsh & Coal Tit and lots of Blackcap. Singing well boys!!

I had heard that some Yellow Wags were seen from Bill's hide - no joy. But at the centre I got a nice male in a tree and a Yellowhammer and driving out of the reserve a Red Legged Partridge.


I decided to stop off at Audley End Mansion on the way home.

The finest Stately home in Essex - Audley End Mansion. Only a third of its original size.

Its Vegetable garden is also superb.









The very attractive grounds of Audley End. A nice place to sit and watch the world with a good book.










Audley end lake has a number of common birds who were kind enough to pose. Oh and amongst the Swallows and a House Martin. Also had a very White Wagtail looking bird and a Meadow Pipit.

Black Swan not on the BOU list but I suppose one day it'll make it.



















The ever reliable Mallard happy to pose.













A pair of Tufties. There seem to be alot more of these little beauties.









and to finish off...................

4 comments:

nicola said...

Sounds a lovely day and some craking photos too!

Cherrypie said...

It does sound like a good day. In fact a lovely weekend. I love Sudbury and Audley End.

I would have chosen Norfolk for the holiday though. x

The Quacks of Life said...

Hi CP

well I've been to Norfolk twice already this year. I have a week in East Anglia in July - 2 nights Dunwich and 6 in Titchwell and I expect I'll be up in October. I usually do 3 trips per year

Anonymous said...

That new toy is providing some pretty nice photos Pete, and that Audley place looks stunning.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.