Thursday, May 11, 2006

Note to self

....do not turn this blog into a home for jokes! I could do without forming a blogger version of the Coven or could I ..... um

My hols approach. It appears I maybe having dinner with two women Saturday night oohh aren't I the lucky boy.

English Heritage have announced our churches are in such a state of disrepair that almost a billion pounds needs to be spent restoring them. Now you all think I would approve of this especially given that 14,500 churches (80% of them CofE) are listed right? well yes sort of. What bugs me is that a number of vicars have been on the telly telling us how these are important parts of our culture and history that contain superb works of art. What's wrong with that you say? You said that yourself you say?

Ah but what bugs me is how often I walk up to a church door and find it locked. We'll ignore the fact that they should be open for pilgrims to pray and gain succour in. I've driven a fair way to visit this "important part of our culture that history and contain superb works of art." and the building is locked and you try getting the key!

Now these vicars think that you and I should be paying this billion pound bill and I agree but I'm not for letting the CofE and especially some of the pompous wardens then lock me out. You want my money? I want to get in. Surely a better bet is for them to be owned by someone who will be able to look after them and guarantee some access not forgetting that these are religous buildings (and that is their prime use). That way the CofE can stop being in the historic building trade and get on with its prime mission religion.

I ought to stress in I am being a bit unfair about pompous wardens. There are some truly dedicated people who really care about their churches. They appreciate that they have a trust to all visitors not just the Sunday club.

Often churches are kept locked and we are told its due to insurance. Its not! Vicars often have 5 or 6 churches and can't really be expected to travel around opening and locking churches.

I do appreciate that some churches may need to have someone present, especially in towns, but an open church is apparently less likely to be burgled than a locked one. Very often people are not available to open churches or for that matter no one prepared to sit in the church one afternoon per week. I am sympathetic but would appreciate some idea of when I can gain entry. The church conservation trust (a charity that looks after "redundant" churches) publishes access information on its excellent website (see links). Can we have more of this please.

I once visited the church of St Mary the Virgin @ Little Sampford in Essex. There was a small sign saying that the chuch had been burgled several time but the wardens would ensure it remained open. I stuck all my loose change in the box.

10 comments:

DH59 said...

So, dinner with two women? Hope you're paying!! ;)

The Quacks of Life said...

no 48eh

DH59 said...

Yes, with fried rice, please!!

The Quacks of Life said...

see the entry below No 48!!

DH59 said...

I know. I thought you were!! Don't disappoint me now!

The Quacks of Life said...

testing me on no 49 now.

DH59 said...

You know full well I'm that already!!

Anonymous said...

Well of course it should be of some kind of use to the public if they're gonna pay for it.

How can you steal from a church? o_O? I mean I'm not religious at all (with any major religion anyway) and I still feel creeped out about stealing from a church. Of course a hospital.. or orphanage would be worse.

The Quacks of Life said...

hi nathalie (do you answer to nat?)

beats me, but people do. probably says alot about the moral decline in this country

Cherrypie said...

You mean he's not paying? I'll just have the soup, please x

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.