Sunday, June 18, 2006

Baby Birds and an Emperor

Well I didn't get up early. I was really tired last time and slept from 10 to 6:20. I could have got up and gone over the Forest but just turned over.

Did go down to Rye Meads after lunch.

Well lifer!! Emperor Dragonfly!! Thing was huge had the diagnostic black stripe down the back.

Off to Draper Hide, my those Coots and Pochard have grown. Also Baby Herons!! And a male Ruddy Duck

There didn't seem many Tits about but lots of Reed and Sedge Warblers and Common Whitethroats singing.

From the hide.




The Terns seem to be doing very well. There are young birds on the rafts.

Just infront of the Tern hide were two Mallard families.






All very nice. I managed to miss the Kingfisher's today (they were in the hole apparently) but have fledged one brood and are looking for a second.

Saw these two....

Common Blue I think looking at the tail.



Blue Tailed Damselfly.



Amazing how close you can get to these Damsel's. The bins won't focus that close. Ooh pentax papilo's focus to 50cm - uuuuuummmmmm.

I had seen quite a few Black Tailed Skippers (well that's what I think they are). These two had other things on their mind.



As I got back to the centre I was serenaded by a Song Thrush.

2 comments:

nicola said...

Pleased you had a nice day, also that you are awake!

Great photos too..

Anonymous said...

I did mean to tell you about Marizon RSPB......and the Emperor Dragonflies...but its all passe now eh?

(I was thrilled at recognising one! then 60 !!! well not quite but loads!!)

C

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.