Friday, June 02, 2006

I hope you like sport!

We are about to enter a manic period for sport buffs. Not only do we have the French Open tennis with Wimbledon to come, we have test cricket, the European Athletics championships, the British Grand Prix, the Derby AND something called the world cup coming up.

My world cup predictions for work show a Brazil v Argentina final (I've been amazingly optimistic and got England going out in the semi's). I enjoy the world cup, not so much following Ingerlund but watching all the smaller countries and to see great games. Pity the Germans got a relatively easy group!!

I'm hoping we will see some exciting football like 1982. Who can forget Italy-Brazil, the France-Germany semi final and the German goalkeepers cynical foul which had the whole of Britain into Pasta fans for the day as the Italian won the final.

It would be great to see England win BUT if we can see a final like the Italy-Brazil 1982 quarter final I'll be VERY happy.

I like Cricket, probably my favourite sport. Obviously we are not going to have the tension of last year, when every match seemed to go to the wire, but for me cricket is summer.

The grand prix is not really my thing. That said always good to watch to see Schumacher lose. Brilliant he may be but a sense of decency and fair play he hasn't got. I think we would like to see a bit just a bit of overtaking. PLEASE!!

Sorry Dawn but if you put horses in it my eyes glaze over. At least the Derby is about the best horses and it isn't handicapped. Lets be honest Horse Racing is glorified gambling. The majority of people who watch it only do it to gamble. I can't stand Eventing or show Jumping, and Dressage? don't make me laugh. Don't get me wrong riding a horse may be as exhilarating as hell but playing chess is exciting and tense but watching it is like watching paint dry.

Which leads us into Tennis and can one of "our" boys wim Wimbledon? No. I really don't understand my wanting of Tim Henman to lose, I really can't. He is a good player and a seemingly nice bloke. But ...... i cheer his opponent on!! His record is good at Wimbledon he often went out to the greatest Grass court player of all time. His one regret must have been the defeat to Ivanisevic.

Rusedski ? is ok there is a fragility about him that proves he's British. That said he is all about the serve and mentally to fragile.

Never mind the future is bright the future's a Murray Mint. Or is it? On court he shows real passion but I question his sacking of his coach so young. Over the last few months he's drifted. Wimbledon will be a big thing for him expectation is growing. He doesn't need to win it or anything stupid but a limp first round exit would not be good. Anyway the bloke just doesn't seem fit.

What is curious is that for someone who shows such passion on court he is so dull off court. He talks about stuff as if he has just woken after 12 hour kip.

Still I'll be hoping Federer can beat the Spaniard Nadal at Roland Garos. Federer on a tenis court is superb to watch but then the great sportsman always have that touch of something extra special. The women's tennis is much more interesting especially at Wimbledon when virtually any one of 10 players may win.

The European Athletics championships are going to very depressing. We could normally expect a hatful of medals but sadly those days are gone.

No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.