Thursday, June 15, 2006

I REALLY REALLY MUST............

I often complain that my local patch (RSPB Rye Meads) is fairly dull Bird wise. This is true but as I often concede it throws up something interesting. Darn good for Kingfisher at the moment.

Anyway I digress, it also seems to have a few Dragonflies and Damselflies about. So inspired by Nic's fine pics I've dusted down my fieldguides to Dragonflies and Butterflies and am going to spend some time trying to learn and identify some of these beasties. Certainly lots about at Welney on Monday.

Of course I've said this before, sigh, so I may well not do this but I so enjoy watching Dragonflies and Butterflies it would be a shame not to know what I am looking at.

I am hoping that a trip to Hicking Broad in mid July will have me see a Swallowtail. They look magnificent.

Anyway it beats twitching!

3 comments:

nicola said...

yeah my second choice when no birds are about, they are great subjects to photograph too! Well when they arnt flitting about too much! Look forward to seeing some from you!

Anyway got to dash off to minsmere and will close my eyes if I see a b*******!!!!

flicker said...

I like them too, the garden is alive with butterflies at present, and lots of moths at dusk. And of course there was that wonderful dragonfly I got the close ups of last summer (I posted them on BBF I think, or maybe it was that other birdforum that I don't mention any more) There's some damselflies around at present down the river that are fantastic colours, really luminous blue-turquoise but with very dark black wings, so that they look almost like a butterfly as they are flying. Are they in the book Pete?

The Quacks of Life said...

probably Jan

the two books in my wildlife links are excellent for dragonflies and butterflies. They restrict themselves to Britain which is VERY important since we have so few species compared to Europe.

Oh I managed to id Nic's pics from them!!

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.