Thursday, June 01, 2006

Testing one's Faith in Parents

As some of you may remember my lawn mower broke a while back. Anyway I ended up getting my dad's old mower and we bought him a nice shiney new one for his birthday.

Firstly my father always maintains that I don't cut the lawn very well. I apparently go to fast - too bloody right I want it out of the way - anyway the other week he actually said I cut it well!! I cut the grass last night and remarked to dad on the phone that his mower sounded noisier than mine.

Dad - "well I've lowered the blade so it cuts closer"

Me - "so hang on my my old mower could never cut as well? And that explains why suddenly the grass is being cut better? Sneakey sod, and you have been cutting your grass with this 'better' mower? Sneakey sod!".

To be fair he cuts grass better than me because he goes over it 443 times.

Anyway the parents have decided as my birthday approaches that they would buy me a new mower. The one I'm using is 12+ years old and save me buying it.

Now for years my head gardener (known as Dad) has said that Hovver's are rubbish and don't cut as well as the cylinder mower type. So what has my dad bought me? A boody hovver!! I mean how are you meant to trust your parents when they pull a flanker like that on you.

I'll let you know what a hovver is like next week. I can tell you are deeply excited.

The radio times opened this morning to a pucture of three smartly dressed young American's all in black. Next to the pic was a caption "God's Next Army". It was a trailer for a program on channel 4 @ 8pm next Monday about the students of Patrick Henry College who want to take the schools strong christian values into Politics. I'll record it (Springwatch on beeb 2!!) and then be afraid.

As the RT says "It's hard to believe that people who are being taught that geological strata were all laid down by the Great Flood may be taking control of America's levers of power but that's the way it looks here. Gulp".

Gulp indeed I find all these fundamentalists frightening.

"If the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch" (Mat. 15:14).

5 comments:

flicker said...

Mowers - my favourite topic! I have tried 'em all believe me over the years. Hovers are great if (a) your lawn is flat (b) it has no stones in it, if you have the type with plastic "blades" and (c) you have strong wrists and muscles like Arnold Schwarzenegger. Sadly, I have none of these.

Having said that, the old lady next door's son comes and cuts hers with a flymo and it looks bloody great, but then her lawn is flat, has no stones in it .....

I hope also you are getting the electric type and not the noisy and smelly petrol driven abominations (which will only start once a season without dismantling the entire carburettor each time and changing the fuel, and cleaning the spark plug)

Oh, and is it the type with the grass collection box attached? Otherwise you will just love the raking up of the grass after you have cut it all. :rolleyes:

I bought one of the flymo things last year with the grass box which compacts the grass as you cut so you don't have to empty the box so often. I used it twice, and then gave up, cleaned it up and re-sold it for a loss of £20 (I sure know how to make money) It weighed about three hundredweight, completely clogged up if the grass was in the slightest bit damp, and trying to cut my slopey bit actually toppled over, and took me with it so I ended up on my arse. Bloody thing!

Hope I haven't put you off though Pete! Happy mowing (oh and happy birthday for whenever..... )

The Quacks of Life said...

thanks Jan. Hopefully my dad will try it first! He likes playing with these things!

Its electric and does have a collector.

Stones? um have some of those. Should be fun.

nicola said...

oh mines a petrol one, I dont use the grass collecting box on it, plus I dont rake after. Gets cut once a fortnight too :) Oh dear that means I will be mowing this w/e :(

Boo said...

Hubby has a great big mower with wheels, I can't manage that, it is too heavy for me. It does have a collection box and he empties is frequently.

A couple of years ago I treated myself to a little hovver with grass collection box (compacts it too) and I love it. I did this so that I could mow while hubby was at work. I empty it fewer times than hubby does, because it compacts. It was not an expensive one but it does the job. Yes, ok, my lawn is not even and occasionally I end up with a bare patch because it has met up with a muddy bit. What the heck I do not aim for perfection, just want the job done!

Eagleseagles said...

Get pebbles!!(I have a beach its so much easier!!)

As to those scary Americans ....they get everywhere....sometimes they are on our doorsteps...Thats mormons...
Fundamentalists are scary whatever the religion!!
As a Christian I really wish they'd(the Christian fundies) wake up and grasp reality!! A friend whose a priest once said they are"no fun and mainly mental".
C

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.