Thursday, July 13, 2006

Evacuation

I type this as a programme is on BBC2 about the evacuation of children during World War II. Can you imagine this happening today?

My Mum lived in the country and was relatively unaffected BUT my Dad is an eastend boy and was evacuated. My dad was evacuated with one of his brothers and sisters. My father hated it and they quickly returned to London and the family moved out to the Essex countryside. He tells me stories of turning up in a village hall and being separated and said it made him very cautious of people.

For all concerned evacuation was a tremendously traumatic experience. My dad had a tough childhood, he lived through the depression and then got evacuated. My Dad was 11 at the time and he doesn't speak about it much. It undoubtedly affected him and his brother Tim. Both were relatively well off in later life but neither would over look a bargain. If I go shopping with Dad to Tesco on a Sunday morning he'll go straight to the reduced items section. For him Money has meaning, he has seen REAL poverty.

As I type I got thinking that if World War II hadn't happened undoubtedly my Dad would have remained in West Ham and its environs. He would never have met my Mum and I wouldn't be here. Makes you think doesn't it.

3 comments:

St Jude said...

My dad was evacuated to a village near York. He had 11 brother and sisters who were all 'farmed' out to different families. Some were lucky and had lovely experiences of their time, in fact we still keep in touch with the relatives, they have become family to us. My dad however was nothing more than child labour, sleeping in the barn without heating or a bed. He worked from dawn until it got dark.

Unknown said...

Evacuation must have been really traumatic, even if children went to live with nice families. You can't imagine it now can you?

"He would never have met my Mum and I wouldn't be here."

Neither set of my grandparents would have met if it hadn't been for WW2, so neither of my parents would have been born. It is strange to think that if it hadn't happened I probably wouldn't be here either.

The Quacks of Life said...

would never happen now.

dad was telling me it really hampered his education.

The idea that you are only here because of so many deaths is a little frightening.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.