Sunday, August 20, 2006

Friday 18th August

Yesterday I managed to avoid the rain, no such luck today it tipped it down. I abandoned my original plan and ended up at Benningborough Hall.

It's a handsomem red brick building. I enjoyed the simple pleasures of a cup of tea and a good book.

The gardens and grounds are small but attractive. If you think all birding is rush here tick rush there tick then think again I spent a good half hour watching Spotted Flycatchers hunting flies and feeding a youngster.

The National Trust have teamed up with the National Portrait Gallery so there are lots of paintings. There's an exhibition, including hands on, on the top floor.





Anyway I realised I was near a church I hadn't ticked ! So off to Nun Monkton a fragment of a Benedictine Nunnery. The village is real picture postcard stuff with a duck pond and HUGE maypole.




St Mary (603) is very fine. It was much restored by the Victorians and is a bit dark.


2 comments:

Cherrypie said...

It's Benningborough - and it's another favourite of mine. I was going to do some room stewarding there but it was just that little bit too far for a weekly trip.

You have to sleep in a room that doubles up as an education space for working hols too, although I am tempted to give it a try some time

The Quacks of Life said...

whoops I knew that !!

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.