Tuesday, August 08, 2006

From the blogosphere

In my browsing through blogs I came across this item on Kate Moss paying £4000 for a stuffed blue tit lying "asleep" on a prayer book (she hasn't yet apparently) on the Raised By Chaffinches Blog by "fine art" taxidermist Polly Morgan.

What is interesting is the "artist" has discovered the blog and has engaged in a discourse with the blogger.

I've had a quick look at the site and shivver. Now I have to be careful what I say here (a friend of mine, a birder, has some birds that they have found and had stuffed) but I am not a fan of taxidermy at the best of times but these images seem very ghoulish.

I don't like the site but I've included it for you to make your own minds up. I don't think Jan is going to like the bloggers comment as part of the discourse on another post.

First of all, I don't think anyone who keeps caged birds can be said to love them. If they really loved them, they would set them free. It goes against all nature. The birds are there merely to please the owner.


Although caged Blackcaps were part of the discussion.....

2 comments:

flicker said...

I always look at it this way - my caged bird is hardly ever that. I would never, ever have a bird that couldn't be let out of its cage, that is plain cruel. My Chippy is only ever shut in overnight, or for an hour or so when I go out, otherwise he is free to do what he likes, which is mainly sit in his cage! The statement about letting them free is ridiculous. Not only would it be against the law, but it is condemning the bird to death. Any bird born into captivity, does not know any different. I agree entirely though that the wild caught bird trade is one of the most abhorrent things man does on this planet, and anyone who does this wants locking in a cage themselves for the rest of their lives. See how they like it. Grrrrrr. Made my blood boil now!

Anonymous said...

Crikey, I haven't read "Raised by Chaffinches" for ages. I'm glad to see that Birdy's still going and has stopped blogging about his beloved shed (if only temporarily).

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.