Saturday, August 26, 2006

Pottering about locally

I was taking the old folks out for the day but they phoned early to say as it was chucking it down.....

So I went birding, and it promptly stopped raining!

As I hadn't been to Hanningfield Reservoir for a while off I went. I do like Hanningfield, its a big reservoir with possiblities for waders and areas of woodland.

From the causeway, before reaching the visitors centre, I picked up some common ducks and geese and a Common Sandpiper.

The trails to the hides go through the woods. The trails were quiet and what birds there were conspicuous by there absence. The usual stuff on the reservoir including some Ruddy Ducks. A Green Sandpiper was a nice find and I almost missed the Black Necked Grebe, this one was much more in eclipse compared to the Doncaster bird. A point for us all not to assume its a Little Grebe! I did pick out the Garganey, if it hadn't flashed its speculum at me I'd have missed it.

There were Black Swans about as well as Red Crested Pochard. Another Common Sandpiper and a Yellow Wagtail amongst the Pied.

As I was walking between hides I heard and saw "something" through the trees. It was big and not a gull but what it was ..... walks into hide "Did you see the Osprey?" Uh well I guess I did I suppose.

Amongst the Gulls I picked out the Yellow Legs. If Yellow Legs there must be let them be in full plumage.

After lunch I headed to Rye Meads. Soon was on to Southern and Migrant Hawker Dragonflies. The migrants were zipping everywhere. Best spot was a Water Vole !! Nice.

Draper hide had been invaded by Canada Geese well over a 100. They had a Barnacle amongst them (feral? escape?) and a Little Egret.

Spotted a Great Spot on my stroll. Lots of Little Grebes about. Also lots of Migrant Hawkers and the odd Brown Hawker, oh and a Common Darter. The Tits and finches were playing hard to get.

The last find was a female Sparrowhawk.

Quiet day but enjoyable.

2 comments:

Hornet said...

A few nice birds there Pete - including a couple of 'would-have-been' lifers for me - I'm getting fed up missing out on BN Grebe!

Never been to Hanningield - where is it? Quite like Rye Meads though, and it's (relatively) close to my folk's house in Watford.

The Quacks of Life said...

Hi Mark

Hanningfield is near to Chelmsford. a few miles South off of the A12. I think J16. Easy to find leave the A12 and take the B1007 south towards Stock and Billericay. Follow the duck sign off of the B1007.

If you are in the area let me know.

Red Crested Pochard SHOULD be a given. The Grebe have been there quite a while.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.