Wednesday, October 18, 2006

PDA's and IPAQs

I don't like New Technology. Don't get me wrong I like the effects of it but its the complexities bit I don't like. Its when people say well you connect your doodah to your whatsamjit and away you go. I go how do you do that? well you INSERT APPROPRIATE TECHNOBABBLE. And I am left scratching my head. I like nice simple instructions.

I am tempted by getting an electronic field guide and it appears that the guide of choice is the collins eguide. Now they recommend a HP iPAQ hx2190 Pocket PC but I know that dell do PDA's (and I even know they are the same thing). So I wonders to myself if a dell would be better since I've always found dells to be reliable. Now I go on to the dell site and find this

I can work out that all of them will be fine for my needs. Although the most expensive has a 640x480 resolution screen and wildsounds recommend 320x240 which the other two are so both would meet my needs.

But here i get confused there are loads of "add ons" I could buy.

do I need .......
  • an aditional battery
  • I've twigged that the SD cards are those that go in my camera and I have a slot on the lap top.
  • I presume a case would be handy but do I need extra styluses? I suppose I might lose one....
  • what about "additional connectivity" e.g.
  1. USB docking cradle with spare battery charging slot to securely place your Axim on your desk
  2. USB Travel Sync Cable to sync and charge your Axim via USB
  • it says it comes with a "UK/Irish - Power Cord" so WHY do I need a "UK Power Cord & AC adapter?"


I mean all I want to do is open box. Put card in PDA/IPAQ and ID birds......

If anyone wishes to tell me why I do and don't want all this stuff.....

Oh I can use it as an MP3 player which might be nice but I won't be connecting it to my work stuff as that would be "VERBOTEN"

6 comments:

Cherrypie said...

My initial rection is 'No, you don't need another gadget' but then I got to thinking how it would mean yet another item to carry and you'd spend all your time with your eyes glued to it trying to identify a LBJ. You'd have no further need for your scope and you could donate it to me. Buy one! Quick x

The Quacks of Life said...

LOL would replace field guide!!

got designs on my scope eh. what did you call them in a very early comment ;)

Anonymous said...

Arthur Dent never had so much trouble with his PDA!

Boo said...

OMG Pete, don't baffle me with science, just tell me how it works and if it is satisfactory when you get it. Collins would be very useful, though it sounds as though the PDA would be as small as my mobile and I am always losing that!

Boo said...

PDA - HOW MUCH? Pete you must be paid too well! ;)

The Quacks of Life said...

Boo - not going to bother, I like the idea.....

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.