Sunday, October 08, 2006

Saturday 30th September

The alarm went off at 5am and I "rushed" about getting ready. It was a leisurely drive down. I went for a look around Buckfast Abbey.



The church was built by the monks in the early 20th century. Its a fine building if not as grand as Downside Abbey.

I'd like to show you some pictures but photography is banned as this is "a house of god". I'd have more sympathy if Buckfast didn't also have a gift shop, restaurant etc.

I then went to visit Saltram House near Plymouth. You can do a little Birdwatching hear so of course.... there were Buzzards overhead, Curlew, Little Egret and 3 Greenshank.

Any ideas?


A digiscoped Little Egret.


The gardens had the usual plus a showy Nuthatch. The duck pond often has Mandarins but not today. Anyway I had a nice Tomato and Vegetable soup and got on with my book.

The house is very fine, what you see from the outside covers a tudor shell (you can see this from the inner courtyard). The house has some lovely pictures and is well worth a visit.

The gardens are parklike and as the sun was shining I carried on with my book.





Had a cup of the and a scan of the Guardian's blog watch had no mention of the quacks of life!!

This is all very civilised! Into my hotel and then a walk.




Summer Berries and Clotted Cream Creme Brulee on the menu. I texted Jan, she'll hate me!

No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.