Thursday, November 16, 2006

Holidays

In a fit of boredom yesterday I took my paperback copy of England's 1000 Best Parish Churches yesterday (the one that sits in the car) and ticked off all the churches I have visited. The idea being that I could then see where i need to go to give the list a boost.

Given I can discount Greater London I was left with the following destinations.

North Devon & Somerset. Nice area. I specifically need to go South of Bristol and North of Wells which is ok by me as I'd like to visit Tyntesfield.

The midlands. Notts, Northants, Leicesershire, Staffordshire, Shropshire and Warwickshire. I want to go to Northants as it has some lovely houses (and villages) as well as churches I haven't visited. I just wish the houses didn't ALL have the same restrictive opening hours!! But trips to Staff/Shrops and Northants/Leics look likely.

South/West Yorkshire - shudder it has to be done but the area around Sheffield and Doncaster is not the same as the North Yorks Moors. Might get put off for a year.

Durham - I have driven through it and indeed stopped to look around Durham cathedral but somewhere else I ought to go to.

Still I reckon trips to Staffs/Shrops, Northants/Leics, and Devon North Somerset are on the cards for the next year.

I need to do Cornwall but that will have to wait. Comments like why didn't you this year come to mind.

Going back to London not only are there some churches I need there are some lovely buildings. Syon, Kensington Palace, Chiswick, Ham and Osterley are all places I'd like to visit. One day...............

7 comments:

Cherrypie said...

I'll do Tyntesfield with you.

flicker said...

What about Wales then? You seen all of ours?

The Quacks of Life said...

Given the publciity Tyntesfield is somewhere i feel I ought to visit. 2006 was the first year you didn't need to book.

also want to visit Bucks next year a few churches plus lots of nice houses. and I can watch Kites!

The Quacks of Life said...

Jan - uh no but welsh churches aren't on my list just English that's the book).

wales in 2008 maybe. trip to skomer and the like

nicola said...

Blimey, planning 2008 holidays too!!!! Hope you are feeling better today, nothing worse being ill and being confined to quarters....

Sharon J said...

Have you visited any in Cheshire? You won't find many in Crewe - this must be the UK town with the least number of 'proper' churces. St. Mary's in Nantwich is the closest we get although I have to say that is a beautiful church so kind of makes up for Crewe's lack -- to a point ;-)

The Quacks of Life said...

Hi Sharon

I have been to Cheshire. Nantwich is gorgeous. I realised I was poor after visiting Knutsford and seeing the house prices ;)

Been to Chester as well which I liked. There are some lovely villages and buidlings. Lower Peover church is worth a visit.

Do want to go back though. Got a few churches I still need.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.