Friday, November 10, 2006

The Poppy

John Snow, presenter of Channel 4 news, is refusing to wear a Poppy on air.

Mr Snow says he wears a poppy off-air but refused to wear any symbols on on-air.

The day before a Christian lobby group urged people people to exchange the traditional red remembrance poppy for the "more Christian" white poppy.

Firstly I've never seen a white poppy and anyway red was selected as that is what found on flanders field.

On the wearing of a Poppy? Well I seldom do. I rarely wear a suit jacket (I wear a collar and tie to work but a casual jacket) for a start. I haven't bought one this year but if there is a box in the office on Monday I'll throw some change in but I still doubt I'll wear one it'll sit on the desk.

Its not disrespect its personal choice. Remember in your own way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have mixed feelings about wearing the poppy. I believe it is important to remind ourselves about the millions of victims of war, but I don't like the use of the word 'sacrifice'. It implies that wars serve a higher purpose, when in reality they result from the incompetence, mendacity and weakness of leaders.

Boo said...

Like Roger, I also have mixed feelings. I DID buy a poppy and will probably wear it, I might even go to the cenotaph on Sunday. I have a friend who went to the cemetry in Belgium this year in order to find her grandfather's name on the list of those who died. She was horrified to read the ages of those who "sacrificed" their lives. Many only 18 years old, she said it was such a waste of young lives. I have to agree with her as many died through incompetence.

Boo said...

Forgot to say, I have never seen any white poppies for sale either, though I probably wouldn't buy one anyway. As for Peter Snow, he should make his mind up about what he believes in and make a stand, he either wears one all the time or not at all.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.