Saturday, January 20, 2007

Sun!!

I awoke to rain. I decided to stay local and do some patch birding. A curious thing happened, the Sun came out!!

I started at Amwell Gravel Pits. First thing I saw was a Water Rail.

I appreciate this is naff but....



you can see how far away it was!



Lots of ducks (including Goldeneye). No Smew, I presume they were on the second lake which I didn't walk to.

Whilst at the observation platform I saw a Sparrowhawk, Great Spotted Woodpecker and masses of Reed Buntings. And a Cetti's Warbler letting rip!

I then went to the Water Rail Hide. This is set next to a feeding station so....












It does make you realise just how attractive Blue and Great Tits are.

There were lots of Swans on the river.




This youngster decided to sit in a puddle.




The River.



Ok naff picture but hey its a Treecreeper!!





So that'll do. A few snaps on the way to the car.



Not Emma the Dog but a cousin!






On to Rye Meads.

Highlights included Green Woodpecker, Green Sandpiper (first of the year!)

It was so nice I stopped at ate my sarnies on a park bench in the sun.






I deleted a lot of pics. I had a few out of focus pics at the feeding station for instance but I am learning the camera. Oh none of these were on fully auto!!

8 comments:

the 2 wrennies said...

not looking too bad at all - I like the ones feeding off the coconuts

DH59 said...

Some excellent shots there. I'm impressed. You've obviously RTFM!! ;)

Jan said...

Aww bless that emma-lookalikey. :)
The ponies are cute too. (Looks like someone needs to fill that peanut feeder.. )

Janine said...

Nice pics Pete, glad you see you are enjoying the new camera. Fuzzy ponies!

Robbiegirl said...

I want a water rail!!!!

oldcrow61 said...

Pete, the pictures are wonderful.

The Quacks of Life said...

thanks all. I'm still learning the cams limitations.

The feeders are filled by H&MWT volunteers.

Jan I just had to take a photo of the little doggy ;)

Anna - see one on my last 3 visits!

Robbiegirl said...

Bah.

Thought I might see (or at least hear) one at Carr Vale on Friday or today, but nothing. But then the water levels were way up so that might explain it.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.