Sunday, April 15, 2007

Saturday

CP and Diane arrived about 8:30 Friday and we sat chatting to about 12:45 and polished off two bottles of wine.

We didn't make London, instead I took the girls to Saffron Walden. It's a lovely small market towns. It has lots of craft shops and foody shops, the market has an olive stall, cheese stall and a nice fish stall. I got the feeling the girls just wanted to buy food and take it home to eat! We did pop into a rather nice coffee shop with HUGE scones.

On to Audley End Manor. What you see to day is a third of what it was when built for Lord Audley.



The yew hedge is fascinating.






The stables are all that remain from the original monastic buildings.







The Walled Garden had a pond fall of newts.











I then took them to Thaxted. The church is magnificent and there was a wedding going on.....





It appears that the bridge and groom were attached to two different teams of Morris Dancers.















Dinner was at the Starr at Great Dunmow. I can't remember what the girls had for starters but I had Scallops and Serano Ham. For main course I had Dornoch Lamb and kidneys, Diane had Halibut and CP Beef. Diane and I had Cheese and CP some chocolate thing. Very nice

3 comments:

Janine said...

Love the newt pond, also those yew hedges are pretty freaky. Great photos even with the "toy" camera. lol

Cherrypie said...

I had the seared tuna. It was all lovely

DH59 said...

I had the goat's cheese tartlet thingy with honey ice cream - it was definitely all very scrumptious.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.