Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Cattle Trucks

Every so often I get sent to London. I think they do this to remind of just how horrible the commute is.

I had to stand all the way and we were packed in like Sardines. We are expected to pay for this? I did get a train on the tube either. And I wasn't able to read which is the only good thing about the train. Luckily we finished early so I was able to get a seat on the way back and it was a quick journey. And I read!!

About 5 years ago in a previous existence I had to go up to London with a colleague from Birmingham. He was shocked at the volume of people at Liverpool Street "So this is where everyone works".

As time goes by I realise I yearn more and more for a quieter existence. Just me, close friends and family, a good book, some wildlife my bins and camera. oh and Peace and quiet. The idea of chasing the big bucks never appeals to me.

Anyway I did go through my book pile the other day and dug out William Horwood's Duncton novels and The Wind in the Willows and Horwood's sequels. I am reading through Duncton Wood (184 pages out of 730 read) and am really enjoying it, next up Wind in the Willows.

I have also bought Bill Brysons - The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. I've not read Down Under or African Diary but this book about 5's America sounds promising. A review perhaps when I come back from my next break.

2 comments:

oldcrow61 said...

Aw Pete, what a trip you must have endured. When reading what you yearn for I realized that was my life. Granted, I have a partner and family though not in the same community,are close enough to see when I want to. Sometimes we forget how lucky we are. It's marvelous. Hope you get what you long for.

Anonymous said...

Yikes, sounds unbearable. I know it doesn't compare here anyway, but around 8pm I was walking home and was feeling brighter and breezier than normal. It took me a while to realize what it was - there was very little traffic around, and only the occasional pedestrian... and I could actually SEE the supermarket car park when I passed it! It wasn't hidden under acres of gleaming chrome. I know people would be at home relaxing, but it was still odd.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.