Saturday, December 29, 2007

I'm in a "funny" mindset right now

My thanks for all your good wishes it means a lot.

I had a call from Dad at 6:30 this morning to tell me Mum had died. I'm not sure how I felt. I wasn't surprised, last night the senior nurse said she thought she would. I decided I ought to get up and go see the old boy.

Whilst shaving i suddenly got tearful. Isn't it funny what you do? I popped into Tesco to get the lottery tickets for the works syndicate, glanced at a camera mag (WILL YOU PLEASE STOP TELLING ME THE NIKON D300 IS WONDERFUL - THANK YOU) and then went to Dads for breakfast.

The body was taken straight to the undertaker which is good and we picked up the things from the hospital.

May I publicly thank the nurses and staff on Plane Ward at St Margarets Hospital Epping. They were wonderful, if my Dad says they were wonderful you can believe they were, OK is high praise from him. Less said about the tosser who misdiagnosed the cancer 3 years ago the better.

So its 9 o'clock and there is nothing else we can do. So we went to Saffron Walden for a wander, nice Coffee/Tea and scone in Eaden & Lillies. Went for a browse around Waitrose - HOW MUCH!!! I'll stick with the riff raff in Tesco. Then went for a ride.

Weird the things you think about, I turned to Dad at one point and said "oh on Monday you had better see the Council Tax people and get yourself registered for single person discount". Dad - oh yeah forgot about that.

Family and friends have been contacted. No Flowers (except from us), no collection (donate to the charity of your choice), no wake. Dad will take her brothers out for lunch later. I'll take Dad away for a holiday later in the year.

Someone they've both known for years will take the service at the crematorium which is good. Guess the funeral will be at least a week away.

Monday I'll shoot into work to clear a few things up then come back to go with Dad to sort out certificates etc.

Its not really sad, she has had no quality of life for at least 7 months and she wasn't going to recover.

It doesn't quite feel real yet.

I guess I'll remember funny things. Her meeting me from primary school when I was about 7 and going for a kick about. us laughing at my Dad looking pathetic as we sheltered from the rain in the gardens at Killerton House. You know silly things.

Tomorrow I'll see Dad for lunch but I think my bins and I will wander over the Forest in the morning.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pete,

I lost my Mother in October so I know a little of what your feeling. Please accept my condolences for your loss.

Remember the laughs you had with her, thats always good for a smile.

BTW, the D300 is a great camera.

Anonymous said...

thinking of you Pete and sorry for your loss...you will have some wonderful memories of your Mum and she sounded like such a good person...lucky you to have known her....take care....hugs ocean

Andi Wolfe said...

My sincere condolences on your loss. My thoughts are with you this week.

The Quacks of Life said...

thank you

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.