Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Sir Arthur C Clarke

It was with regret I heard that Arthur C Clarke died. Clarke was the last of the so called big three Science Fiction writers (the other being Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein).

When I discovered Science Fiction Clarke, along with Asimov, was one of the authors I devoured. I can still remember first reading classics like Childhood's End, Rendevouz with Rama and Against the Fall of Night.

To the populace he is remembered for his work with Kubrick on 2001 A Space Odyssey (even though he wrote better books).

Although books appeared with Clarke's name on them up until last year Clarke wasn't really active since the late 80's.

If you've never read Clarke (and if you are Science Fiction fan you should be totally ashamed of yourself) then I recommend novels like Childhoods End, Fountains of Paradise and Rendevouz with Rama (not the collaborations with Gentry Lee) or a collection that contains stories like the Star or the Nine Billion Names of God or Meeting with Medusa.

In later years he was mired in personal controversies which were never proven. I'll remember the good if I may.

Clarke was an SF god who dared dream, we won't see his like again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that, Pete. And may his gods bless him.

oldcrow61 said...

Yep, a great writer.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely nothing to do with ACC but I wanted to grab your attention and felt if I left a comment in an old post you might miss it.

Your photos are improving very nicely btw but do you realise that you take everything at -1.67 EV? This setting will make everything darker as it's an override to what the camera metering is suggesting.

The Quacks of Life said...

hello anony. do we have a name?

yes I do realise I'm underexposing. I think the camera tends to overexpose, i notice this on some skies. I may play around with setting it nearer to 0.

anyway thanks for saying they are improving!! Nice to know! I'm learning more about the camera.

KAZ said...

All together now .... I'm Dreaming of White Easter

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.