Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The Armchair Traveller

I am a bit of an Arhmchair traveller. Although I holiday a reasonable amount (ahem!) my travels are constrained to the UK. I must have mentioned why before so enough of that.

I do enjoy reading about other countries. So can anyone recommend some good travel writers? I want something engaging and a good "guide/companion" but not someone who is just trying to be funny. Bill Bryson is funny but he also sticks some facts in.

Anyway some travel literature I'd recommend :

Sara Wheeler - Chile: Travels in a Thin Country

Simon Winchester - The River at the Center of the World: A Journey Up the Yangtze, and Back in Chinese Time

Paul Theroux - The Great Railway Bazaar: By Train Through Asia

Nicholas Crane - Clear Waters Rising: A Mountain Walk Across Europe

I'd particularly like some recommendations for Europe and the US and of course Canada.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not into travel literature but I like

Bruce Chatwin - In Patagonia and
The Songlines

very much. I have not read the following but it was a huge success over here:

Hape Kerkeling - I am off a bit
A Pilgrimage Tale to Santiago de Compostela.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I love yr photos and comments. I recommend: "Blood River: a journey to Africa's broken heart" by Tim Butcher.

oldcrow61 said...

Pete....darling....I'm so glad you mentioned Canada. Will have some stuff off to you about my province. Grin!

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.