Saturday, July 31, 2010

And the rain stopped on cue!

I was taking Dad out today, so I was a bit miffed to find it raining! We popped into Saffron Walden to the Saffron Walden Building Society.

I was disappointed to find that Eaden & Lilley had closed and a new store had replaced it. Eaden & Lilley was an old style departent store, its replacement is much swankier alas - a sign of the time.

It had seemed to stop at Saffron but as we headed to Anglessey Abbey the rain set in. I fully expected we would be washed out but it suddenly stopped!

Two of the three new gates for the winter garden.

















































I raided the second hand bookshop, picking up two books for a £1 Frederik Pohl's short story colletion - The Man who ate the World and Stanislaw Lem's The Invincible.

5 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

Glad the rain stoppedfor you both. Anglesey Abbey looks a beautiful place to visit. Love the photo of the young moorhen (very cute) and the photos of dahlias with raindrops. Some interesting statues too.

oldcrow61 said...

Oh my, you've done it again. What a place! The statues are fabulous! What I couldn't do with those in my garden...sigh! You've got to love those gates and the little baby bird is just too cute. Wonderful stuff Pete.

The Quacks of Life said...

cheers caroline


OC - first place I'm taking you. I've let the National Trust know to start sending stuff over :D

Tricia Ryder said...

What a difference Anglesey looks in the sunshine .. bit different from the visit with Digi! You caught the spider's web with raindrops well and some lovely scenery too. Fascinating new gates... in fact everything needs comment :D

avalon said...

wow great pics of the flowers, really beautiful, looks a lovely place

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.