Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sunday - and a snake as well!

I poked my head out of the window and saw blue skies!

I had intended to visit a garden in the morning but I was out early and it didn't open to 11 so I headed south and went to Oundle. Luckily there was no service on.

778 St Peter Oundle










Just down the road was Lyvden New Bield built by Thomas Tresham. Tresham was a catholic under Elizabeth I, not a good career move.










The grounds had some good bird Great and Green Woodies, Treecreepers, Whitethroats AND Spotted Flycatcher.










I also saw a snake!



My main visit was Deene Park, this wasn't open until 2 so I parked up in a field gate, ate my sandwich, read my book and listened to Test Match Special.

The house was quite nice (some lovely Elizabethan ceilings) and it had none of the corporateness of the National Trust. Lovely homemade carrot cake!




























Another nice day.

1 comment:

Janine said...

Great to see a snake on your blog Pete!

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.