Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Kingfishers

A good news story.

The annual British Waterways survey shows that the number of Kingfishers seen around rivers and canals has increased 217% to 596. This is particularly good news as there were fears how the birds would have coped with last years cold winter, the hard winter of 1963 had seen 85% mortality in Kingfishers.

It is believed the increase is due to improvements in the water quality of rivers and canals and the fact that can have three broods in a year.

4 comments:

ShySongbird said...

Hi Pete, that's very heartening to read! I still haven't seen even one all year though :(

Regarding your previous post, I haven't had one butterfly use my butterfly haven or any bees use the bee thingy which I bought over a year ago. Of course it might make a difference if I was to take them out of the bag in the drawer and actually put them in the garden :)

holdingmoments said...

I've noticed good numbers again at my local lake Pete. After last winter I thought none would survive.
I did read somewhere that they sometimes head to the coast in winter, for sea fishing; then return in the spring.

Tricia Ryder said...

I do hope this is an improving trend... such charismatic birds and we might get more opportunity for a picture if there's more of them too ;)

oldcrow61 said...

It's always great to hear a good news story for a change.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.