Friday, August 05, 2011

Weddings

As a confirmed bachelor I'm always a bit gobsmacked when I read about modern weddings.

I was reading an article on the BBC website about couples electing to avoid the traditional Saturday wedding.

One couple wanted to get married at Leez Priory, a Tudor manor house in Essex but there was a long queue. By getting married on a Monday they could jump the queue and save....

wait for it....

£7,000

I was left thinking HOW MUCH DOES THIS WEDDING COST!!

The couple "leapt at the chance. It meant that they wouldn't have to ask guests to pay for anything."

I'm sorry but you invite someone to a wedding and expect them to pay? I could imagine one of cousins inviting me and asking for £50 for my food and drink.. I'd conveniently be on holiday. Which of course in my case is highly believeable :D

I did like this comment from the couple

But what about making their friends take the day off?

"We thought that if people cared enough about us they'd take the day off. And if they didn't then we probably didn't want them there. In the end only one person couldn't come - and that was because they were on holiday."

I guess this is all part of the trend as people spend an absolute fortune on a wedding (Brides magazine say the average cost of a wedding is £24,669). I have to say this trend for relatively less well off people spending five figures on a wedding so that the bride can have "the happiest day of her life" puzzles me.

You go through University rack up £40k of debts between you add another £25k for the wedding and then think about a mortgage.

Perhaps that's why the divorce rate has gone up!! You start in luxury and a fortnight later you have no money!

I haven't been to a wedding in years last time I was best man. The couple did it on a budget and are still happily married.

3 comments:

holdingmoments said...

I think marriage is highly overrated.
I tried it once; never again.

oldcrow61 said...

lol, I got a chuckle out of what holding moments said. Dare I say that I agree. It's madness what people pay for a wedding these days. All that money for a few hours of what....

Tricia Ryder said...

Well..... Keith and OC have said it all so nowt else I can add except I agree with all of you..... !!

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.