Friday, February 10, 2012

Snow? Lets talk Mosquitos

I looked out of the window last night to see snow falling fairly hard, so I dutifully set the alarm for early so I could get on the roads before the hordes. I'm pleased to say that the roads were fine and the snow obviously didn't amount to much (stop laughing OC).

I was interested to read that the mosquito Culex modestus was recorded at sites in the marshes of north Kent and south Essex in 2010 and 2011 and is reported as breeding. Culex modestus is suspected of transmiting West Nile virus to humans during sporadic epidemics in southern Europe.

Apparently a handful of individuals were collected along the south coast of Britain in the 1940's but has not been seen since 1945.

The discovery was made by a postgraduate student Nick Golding.

2 comments:

Tricia Ryder said...

Snow, snow go away... and the mossies too... can live without both of those please....

oldcrow61 said...

ahahahahaha. I'm trying to picture you struggling to get though ALL THAT SNOW!

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.