Sunday, January 15, 2017

A musical afternoon

I went to Saffron Hall this afternoon to see the Bergen Philharmonic orchestra and the  conductor Edward Gardener . They were joined by the cellist Leonard Elschenbroich.

The attention was to spend an hour at Audley first but the weather was awful so we headed straight to the concert.

The programme was:

First Half
Edvard Grieg - Peer Gynt
Edward Elgar - Cello Concerto

Second Half
Bela Bartok - Concerto for Orchestra

Predictably I loved the first half..... both are wonderful pieces of music. Hard to chose a favourite of the two. The Peer Gynt end with a rousing Mountain King whilst cellist Elschenbroich played the Elgar with passion. I was less keen on his choice of encore hey ho.

I'm not a Bartok fan so was a bit unsure if I would enjoy it but I really did, There was fire and humour throughout.

Those who rushed off at the end missed the encore ... Elgar's Nimrod from the Enigma Variations. A really cracking afternoon

No comments:

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.