Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Sometime it just has to be Bach

On Saturday evening I went to the Saffron Hall to see the Gabrieli with their director Paul McReesh and soloists Rowan Pierce, Emile Renard, Nicholas Mulroy and Stephan Loges perform a program of JS Bach centred around Bach's East Oratorio.

I have an interesting relationship with Bach. In some frames of mind I can find him a little irritating whilst at other times I can be known to comment "it can only be Bach" and find him sublime. I'm not sure why that should be. So you will appreciate a program of  Bach for me can be hit or miss.

The program was

Sinfonia from Canata BWV 42
Cantata BWV6 "Bleib bei uns, denn es will Abend werden"
Easter Oratorio BWV249

Now at the half way point I was really enjoying it but......

In the Oratorio itself there was a solo by soprano Rowan Pierce I was so entranced that I totally missed that the director had moved to a seat..... it was just sublime.

The Gabrieli were also excellent with all the instrumental soloists being top notch.

Sometimes it just has to be Bach.... especially when performed this well

1 comment:

Tricia Ryder said...

it was Bach at his best ... the oratorio in particular and the soloists brought that added dimension ..I even enjoyed the harpsichord

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.