Monday, July 17, 2017

Fountains Abbey and some churches

I have a few churches still to do in North Yorkshire and I knew that one of the churches was open today so off I headed...

En route I came to the town of Sherburn-in-Elmet which has a church on my list and which was closed last time I was there. I had emailed them to find out if it might be open but had no response I was tempted to carry on but the church was in view so I thought what the hell and .... IT WAS OPEN!!

858 All Saints, Sherburn-in-Elmet










859 St Mary, Birkin

I knew this would be open as they had responded to my contact and the church was open as they using it as a cafe. I strongly approve of this, churches shouldn't be locked and only used on Sundays.










One last  one

860 St John's, Knaresborough











So off to Fountains Abbey!

Lets start with lunch Cherry and Nut Scone



Cardinal Huby's tower......























































Fountains Hall










1 comment:

Ragged Robin said...

Great post Pete - so enjoyed it. All the churches are superb and I especially liked the tympanum in the first :) Fountains Abbey and those gardens looks fantastic - still annoyed we missed it when in the area :) Thanks so much for sharing.

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.