Thursday, August 17, 2017

Clumber Park and 3 churches

I decided to do a church crawl this morning but I wasn't hopeful.....

Ossington Hall was torn down in the 1960's and the family moved to the rectory. The church is therefore an estate church and reached down a long drive.....


As I feared it was locked but there was a keyholder nearby and they were in!

864 The Holy Rood, Ossington


The church is Georgian












my next target was locked and tried all 3 key holders without joy.

I was surprised that despite being close to the A1 was open.

865 St John, East Markham








I was heading to Clumber and Worksop was 5 miles down the road...... there is no hope the church would be open BUT it was easy to find and the doors were open and there was a nice open sign!

866 Priory Church, Worksop


At the end of the this row of tree is the priory gate.


The nave of the priory has survived and as you can see the chancel was torn down and been modernised.










I like this window don't know who it is by.






This window is of St Cuthbert and was designed by Helen Whittaker


I liked Worksop! Now there is a small NT property in Worksop called Mr Straw's house, I hadn't realised it was timed ticket only so I phoned but all tickets had been sold.... sigh

And so off to Clumber for lunch, the scone was not up to snuff. Curiously later I saw the scones in the other tearoom and they looked different!!




















Clumber was pulled down between the wars it's chapel still survives as a parish church. Clumber house would have been magnificent.























2 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

Magnificent churches Pete - such lovely stained glass and interesting looking tombs and monuments. Baby coots are cute :)

Tricia Ryder said...

The stained glass window of St Cuthbert is quite outstanding.. and Clumber Park looking beautiful... w

Blog Status

If you want to use any photos on this blog please see this link.